Monday, February 16, 2009

Aria

Okay so as I read Aria all I could think of was what I could only categorize as my previous opinion on the issue of bilingual students and or ESL students. I used to think that if you lived in the United States you should speak the official language. Now I still feel that all people of this nation should speak the universal language, it’s just that I never realized it came at such a price. I never imagined that it would cause a person to lose their essence, or their identity. Seeing as to how I only know and speak English I’ve never thought of the fact that by learning a new language to assimilate with a new culture it comes at the expense of who you are. It’s made me think more analytically of understanding the troubles and woes that people have to overcome in order to become part of “our” culture as Americans. I remember when previously I used to think that it was wrong or at least reprehensible for people not to understand the “mother” tongue but if I English was my second language I wouldn’t want to lose my ties to my original tongue. Anyone else feel that way?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like Rodriguez opened your eyes to thinking of this issue in a new way. Now say more... Look over the format for Talking Point as I describe it on the syllabus -- I want you to use it to help you get in a little deeper on the issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way that you do. I think that all people who live here, especially students, should learn English because it's for everyone's benefit. How can a student who knows little English have the same opportunities as a student who is fluent? It's impossible because fluency is so valued in our society.

    This article made me think more about how much people have to give up to learn a new language though. It's almost like they have to give up a piece of themselves. But I respect people who work hard to learn English even more because of this article. I can sympathize with them, but I agree with you and Rodriguez that students should learn English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had the same feelings and thoughts that you had before reading this article. I only know English and after reading this article my eyes are opened a little more to what people have to go through when they have to learn English as a second or third or fourth, etc. language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree Dom with what you said about when you live in the United States you should speak the official language. I'm guessing your saying that we should only speak English here in the United States if that is true then I'm glad you read the Aria piece because you shouldn't think like that. People should teach other people and people who don't speak another language can be taught and vice verse. I know you believe in you learn something new everyday right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with kelly, people shouldnt be forced to speak the official language but i think that they should learn it in some way. but english is a very hard language to learn and i can understand why it takes people so long to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dom – Aria
    I'm glad that after reading this article you realized how much us (i include myself) have to give up in order to learn USA public language. I agree with you and the others who had leave comments, that everyone who comes to this country has to learn English but let me tell you that sometimes, on the way to accomplish that, some people get so frustrated that prefer to give up everything and go back to their native country. I can tell that from my own experience and believe me, it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i used to think the same way about if you lived in the US you should really speak english.... but some people dont have the accessibility to learn our language. i think that multiple languages in the US just makes it a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AGREE WITH KELLY AND VANESSA BECAUSE THAT LIMITS A PERSON AND STRIPS THEM OF THEIR IDENTITY. THAT IS ONE THING THAT WE AS PEOPLE CAN HAVE AND CHERISH IS IDENTITY AND ONCE THAT IS TAKEN YOU DO NOT HAVE NOTHING. IM SO GLAD YOU READ THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE NOW I KNOW YOU SEE A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

    ReplyDelete