Monday, February 9, 2009

Kozol & Goldberg

Okay so I decided to do my first blog on the Goldberg and Kozol pieces. I’m kind of glad that I read the Goldberg piece first because it kind of helped me read the Kozol piece. It was kind of interesting to get some insight into the youth’s mind in the Goldberg piece. Although from my own personal reading of the piece I didn’t get the whole concept of being anti- American like the youth mentioned. I saw it more along the lines of Kozol painting an image, of what it is like to live in certain areas of this country. Now I personally don’t like to assume things but for all inclusive purposes i am going to make some assumptions, or more like educated guesses. Now, I can only assume that the youth from the Goldberg piece lives in a pretty well off area of Connecticut, and that he is most likely a republican, and has probably never been to an area like the one represented in the Kozol piece. I am not anti American in the least and I feel like the piece didn’t make me become against my country. However I see Kozol’s work as I previously stated to depict a way of life. A way of life that those who don’t see or live in most likely won’t care about, which makes me think of the entire privilege discussion we had in class. It seems like this young man is unaware of these environments and unaware of (to be blunt) his privilege. Did anyone feel the same way as I do?

1 comment:

  1. Great. It is not overly blunt to name Goldberg's privilege. I think that is a great way to frame the lens her uses. So say a little more about the major claims and choose some quotes from each text as well (per the assignment in the syllabus). It will help you dig even deeper into the readings.

    ReplyDelete