Monday, May 4, 2009

Oakes

I was going to do the Anyon Piece but for some reason the link kept pulling up as forbidden. So instead I decided to write on tracking. And the Oakes piece, which I found captivating, basically because it seems like this is the type of learning I have been exposed to my entire life. Which leads me to wonder if things like the “gifted” program were good or appropriate practices that were and are still being practiced in the schools I went to in my youth. At the same point in time is it? I’ the product of these programs, they helped me to become a better student, and to care more for my education and without them would I have possibly achieved as much as I have in my own life? “Tracking leads to substantial differences in day to day learning experiences students have at school.” While I was looking through microscopes were other kids just looking at pictures? “….students who are placed in high ability groups have access to far richer schooling experiences than other students.” And this third quote really made me think of my teacher I have for my service learning “in low ability classes for example teachers seem to be less encouraging and punitive, placing more emphasis on discipline and behavior and less on academic learning.” Because this is the exact thing I’ve realized my teacher doing. She cares more about students sitting still than knowing how to spell and read, and that is a crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment